A hike to Machu Picchu is sure to be one of the best outdoor adventures in your lifetime. Don’t let the experience be ruined by being under-prepared!
Only Hike to Machu Picchu After These Preparations
Apparel is the first and foremost. This includes:
- A day pack for the daily essentials, preferably with padded straps and exterior compartments for holding water bottles.
- Trekking pants and/or fitness/yoga pants, rugged materials that dry quickly can be of great help in poor weather conditions.
- A long-sleeve top (one in summer and two for winter). This can add warmth and be easily removed if too warm. Any kind of thin shirt would suffice.
- A fleece or hoodie. A fleece especially since it won’t weigh you down as much as something cotton: it also dries quickly, making it invaluable.
- A waterproof jacket or plastic poncho. A poncho would be best as it would keep your belongings as dry as possible.
Other important items include:
- Trainer/hiking boot hybrids would be for the best, though trainers can be used in a pinch.
- Spare clean socks for each day.
- A flashlight, though headlamps would be just as good if not better.
- Toiletries… don’t want to forget these! Toilet paper, toothbrushes, soaps, etc. Some medicine, too (in case of headaches and altitude sickness).
- Gloves for in the mornings and at night. Ones with grip and that are waterproof would be preferable.
- A sleeping bag (one that weighs below two pounds would be ideal). Keep in mind the sometimes-big temperature drops at night.
- A camera! It’d be a mistake not to take pictures of the majestic ruins once you arrive.
Physical preparation for this hike will go a long way. Step machines at gyms, jogs, and aerobics of some sort will help prepare you physically (and mentally) for the adventure ahead. A 30 minute or so jog everyday a week before the hike will make things go a lot more smoothly when the time comes.
Spending a day or two in Cusco after the trek to recuperate would be ideal too. They can offer cheap massages for those sore muscles! To plan your Peru adventure and to learn more about the hike to Machu Picchu, get in touch with Alpaca Expeditions. Alpaca Expeditions is a Peruvian travel operator with a main office in located in Cusco, Peru, and we are the top-rated tour operators of the Inca Trail.